Module 4 - Hazards: Coastal Flooding

 In module 4, Coastal Flooding, we are introduced to procedures for assessing coastal flooding, understanding how elevation models are used in delineating flood zones, performing overlay analysis and determining errors of omission and commission using coarser quality datasets.

This module was challenging in many ways, primarily because as a new GIS student, I was unfamiliar with a number of the tools and the techniques in using the tools.  The one that will take some practice, but I am certain it will be used again and again in my GIS career is adding fields to an attribute table, and determining how to populate the field with accurate information.  Discovering the area of the storm surge layer for the Cape May County New Jersey portion was a small but significant victory for me. Knowing that I am surrounded by fellow professionals who are willing to share their knowledge and wisdom is inspiring.

Adding fields to the storm surge DEM layers for the Collier County Florida portion was by far the most challenging aspect of the lab.  Through trial and error,  I figured out how to populate the flood zone fields for the LIDAR and USGS DEM layers, and learned how to add a value to a null field.  I do feel confident that with practice, perseverance, and a lot of help from my peers, I will get better at determining a methodology that works best for me.

Comments