Module 5 - Choropleth and Proportional Symbol Mapping

 Module 5 introduces us to Choropleth mapping and Proportional and Graduated Symbol mapping via European population density and wine consumption as the data points. Choropleth mapping requires standardized data to be useful to the map reader.  The proportional and graduated symbol mapping used the wine consumption data to present that information on the map. I chose to use the graduated symbol mapping because it uses classes to define the different levels of wine consumption per country.



I used ArcGIS Pro to create this choropleth map of European population densities and graduated circular symbols to represent the wine consumption for each country.  I used the label annotation feature to help assist the map reader in determining each individual country labeled by moving the the labels, when possible, to areas that allowed for more clarity.  I elected to use Natural breaks for the population density and the wine consumption because of the high accuracy of using this method and its ability to determine the number of classes based on the natural breaks. I also chose to use a sequential color scheme to stay away from using multiple colors and stick with using shades of green to differentiate between population densities of the European nations. Some data points were excluded from this map to help maintain a more uniform set of values for mapping.


Comments